Sunday 10 May 2009

This'll put Manners on ya!

New York Indie pop favorites, Passion Pit are back... and this time with an album. Their EP Chunk of Change was one of the best EP's I've heard in a long while. It subsequently spent nearly three months on repeat on my music player.



The album is exactly what you'd expect from these guys. "Manners" brilliant collection of indie pop tunes in that certain indie style you get from having three people playing keyboards at the same time. There's definitely some awesome songs, "Little Secrets" is one of my favorites, and only one song, "Sleephead", made it from the EP to the LP. It seems to me that is has been re-produced in a subtly different way (if I'm imagining this, which is a distinct possibility, do tell me). There's a few more slower, more introspective songs, like "Swimming in the Flood", to contrast all their usual upbeat stuff you've come to expect.

One song I do not like, is "The Reeling", the single off the album. It sounds like something off the soundtrack to a movie in the 1980's. It just seems to be lacking in that originality that I love from these guys.

Head over to their Myspace page to hear some of the lovely tracks...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hmmm, been doing some accidental research and turns out the RTE Guide have judged this to be "Fair" and only appealing to 'scenesters' which is actually a new word to me...

It is possible this Alan Carr character is lying in order to keep this whole thing underground and thus still acceptable to the truly indie-schmindie such as you 1337 people

Chip said...

The RTE Guide, such reputable music reviewers, it's where I do most of my research for this blog. Though I do need to know what's happening in Fair City tonight. It's a bigger concern than my bank going bankrupt or my government going government-rupt, or the world spinning out on control into the sun!