Thursday 15 January 2009

Conserning the Suckyness of iTunes.

When i first entered the world of Indie music, i had a great collecting of CD's that i was very proud of showing off to people, i still have those CDs (somewhere) but while the music they held lives on, they no longer hold the same place in my heart. These days CD's are just another type of shopping bag, once you get the music off it, you just want to put it away safe, knowing that perhaps one day you'll have a use for it.

These days, instead of showing people my music through a carefully stacked and sorted on a (particularly indie) CD rack, i open up my laptop and show them through their now homely digital medium. There is a problem. Due to getting a welcome gift of an iPod, i found myself shackled to the bulky, over bearing, user-hating iTunes and i know a lot of people have the same problem so PLEASE do yourself a favour...


Get Songbird.
This wonderful, free, open source creation comes to you from the same guys who brought you Firefox (remember when you didn't think internet explorer was shit?). It's final version has been released recently and it works brilliantly. Have no fear it's not iPod exclusive (thats just what i use it for). It also has a very highly customizable user interface and a load of great plug-ins to install. so free yourself from terrible software!
My hope is that if enough iPod people get songbird then either apple will finally bring out some software that doesn't constantly harass it's user or maybe even disappear completely, either suits me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I honestly cannot see why everyone hates itunes so much. I got songbird about a month ago and wasn't that impressed. The add-ons are cool, but that is about it. It runs about the same speed as itunes on my mac.

I still use itunes...

Seb Berkovich said...

Well reasons why i use songbird include; not having to register with a credit card to get full features, no problems converting file types (if there ever is, there is/will be an add-on), customization (i just like being able to find the right look and feel for the software i use).

of course some people dont have these issues so wont mind as much.

songbird is still a relatively new release so i'm a little more excited about the possibilities than it's current form kinda like the difference between Netscape and Firefox 3.

Chip said...

I for one always use iTunes on my Mac just because it does what it says on the tin.

Back on the ol' PC I'd use Winamp. Now that's a music player... My only complaint with winamp is that you have to buy the pro version to get some features, but the free one does the job. If only someone would make a Winamp 5 clone for the mac. Then I'd be happy.